"New-Method" released our "新・方法主義Ｓｈｉｆｔ＿ＪＩＳ宣言" (New-Methodicist Shift_JIS Manifesto) and "New-Methodicist ASCII Manifesto" on September 4, 2015. The same day marked our fifth anniversary.
We introduce No. 46 of our email bulletin with our works and guest contributions. This issue features Hideki Nakazawa for the contributor, an artist, ex-Methodicist, and ex-New-Methodicist, who has contributed to our bulletin in No. 33.
On 4 September, 2015, the group "New-Method" declared "New-Methodicist Shift_JIS Manifesto" to Japanese readers and "New-Methodicist ASCII Manifesto" to English readers. It counts their sixth manifesto from the first "New-Methodicist Manifesto" on the same day 5 years ago, marking their sixth year to come. "New-Method" has come to outlive their precursor "Method" as the predecessor group terminated its just-five year activity since launched on 1 January of 2000.
Methodicist manifestos of "Method" were "about" tautology - tautology as the corollary of modernism - whereas New-Methodicist manifestos of "New-Method" are found in tautology "in itself." It is the case with this latest manifesto where they repeat language codes in ready-made fashion. Self-reflecting tautology found in this manifesto is accelerated with the fact that language is, though not discussed in depth here, an instrument of thought and a proof of the self as in the manner of I-think-therefore-I-am. Shift_JIS is a standard introduced in the 1980s for industrial usage of Japanese language, whose character palette I regarded as a palette of painterly elements in my 1997 work "Letter-Coordinate Painting." The (first) "Methodicist Menifesto" three years later was a manifesto "about" this work being tautological "in itself." However, the succeeding "New-Method," not only their work but also their manifestos, are tautological "in itself" like Dada, meaning that, though not discussed in depth here, they represent the re-re-revival of anti-art.
Useful No Work Work and Useless No Work Work
Binary Data Display No.1
"Binary Data" is a binarized data format, the lowest-level format in computer data processing ("lowest" here means "close to machine code," not "inferior"). In this work, I display the binary data of the web page of my web work "Multi-Layered Matrix of Numbers No. 1" in hexadecimal (base 16) values.
The prime factors of the height of K2
I worked out the prime factors of the height of K2, the second heighest mountain next to Mount Everest. I printed out the numbers and framed the print.
- "New-Methodicist ASCII Manifesto" http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/manifesto_ascii.html
- "Fwd: 量子詩第１０００番" http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/quantum_e.html
- Nao Kimura "Report: New-Method Major Solo Exhibition ~Weekend Carpenters~" http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/weekendcarpenters/
- "New-Method" official webpage has been updated. http://7x7whitebell.net/new-method/
- Takahiro Hirama has updated his website. http://qwertyupoiu.archive661.com/
- Shogo Baba has updated his website. http://7x7whitebell.net/
- Masaru Kaido has updated his website. http://masarukaido.com/
- If you would like to receive the email bulletin "New-Method," please let us know.
- This bulletin is free to redistribute while all rights are reserved.
- This bulletin will sometimes be sort into the spam folder. Please be reminded.
Shogo Baba will present his research "Interpretation and Assessment of Musical Activity of Yasunao Tone" at the 66th Annual Conference of The Japanese Society for Aesthetics.
info http://www.waseda.jp/bun-arthistory/bigaku66/program.html#day3 (M)
Takahiro Hirama @qwertyu1357
Shogo Baba @shogobaba
Masaru Kaido @kaido1900
Bulletin "New-Method" No. 46 English Version
Published on Oct. 4, 2015